Knoydart and the Isles Adventure
27th August – 3rd September – FULLY BOOKED
3rd September – 10th September – FULLY BOOKED
2022 Price: £1595pp (+ booking fee)
To register your interest for future trips please contact us
Join SwimWild on an unforgettable swimming and walking adventure as we explore remote parts of the Knoydart peninsula, Skye and the Small Isles! Expect incredible scenery, delicious food, stunning swims and comfortable accommodation in a fabulous location!
Our adventure base for the week is a remote wilderness lodge, situated at the Southern end of Doune Bay, Knoydart, looking West across to the Skye Cuillin. The lodge is tucked just 20 metres back from its own beach (sandy below mid-tide). Best accessed by boat, Knoydart is often described as the last wilderness in Scotland. Isolated from the rest of the Western Highlands by high mountains it remains an untamed and beautiful area of rugged landscapes and stunning sea lochs.
On some days we we will board the Mary Doune, our boat for the week, and make passages to Skye, the Small Isles or a remote corner of the Knoydart peninsula to start our swimming adventures! On other days we will explore the Knoydart peninsular on foot, walking from our base to some stunning swim locations closer to our base.
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Start/Finish Point – Mallaig Railway Station
You will be met by your SwimWild guides on the main platform at Mallaig Railway Station at 5:50 pm on Day 1 of your trip. The time coincides with the arrival of the train from Glasgow. At Mallaig, we board our private launch to take us to our accommodation which is approximately a 30-minute crossing.
The weather will play a major part in the week’s itinerary. Our Skipper, Andy Tibbetts, will assess the conditions and make a plan with the SwimWild guides on a day to day basis. The beauty of having the lodge and the boat for the whole week is that Andy can tailor our schedule around the weather to give us the best chance of making it out to the remoter islands.
As well as exploring some remote parts of the mainland, we hope to get to some, if not all, of the following islands –
Isle of Skye
Isles of Rum
Isle of Eigg
Isle of Canna
Isle of Muck
On the last day, you will be returned to Mallaig in time to catch the mid-morning train back to Glasgow.
Who can participate in this trip?
The focus of this adventure is to explore the stunning islands and coastline and discover beautiful beaches, rather than to swim long distances. There are likely to be multiple short swims per day, as well as some optional longer swims. You can choose to just join in with the shorter swims and dips, or participate in every swim. If you have any doubt about your suitability to swim on this trip, get in touch with us and we can discuss the options.
I swim, but my partner doesn’t. Can they come?
Absolutely! If they are a walker, photographer, wildlife enthusiast or just wish to experience the majesty of Knoydart and the Isles, they are welcome! Contact us before booking to discuss the suitability of the trip.
Things to consider –
- Sea swimming – Most swims on this adventure will be in the sea, sometimes in choppy conditions and often in deep water. Experience of sea swimming is necessary before booking this trip.
- Swim distances – While we are happy for people to only participate in the shorter swims, if you would like to get the most out of your time on the expedition we recommend that you can swim 1km confidently and continuously in open water. Longer swims may be available for those wanting to swim longer distances (depending on sea conditions).
- Water temperature – Likely to be around 14 degrees Celsius at this time of year. You will need to be acclimatised to swimming in these kinds of temperatures. Wetsuits are strongly recommended but not compulsory.
- Walking/Fitness – This is a swimming and walking adventure, so you need to be happy walking for several hours a day, sometimes over rough ground.
- Ladders/Access – In order to climb in and out of the boat you will need to climb up and down steep ladders.
- Accommodation in simple but comfortable twin and single rooms in a simple wilderness lodge set by the beach in Knoydart.
- All food from the time you are picked up from Mallaig to the time you are dropped off.
- Safety cover, guiding and coaching from experienced, passionate and knowledgeable SwimWild swim guides.
- Plenty of fun and good memories!
What's not included?
- Travel to and from Mallaig Railway Station.
- Swim equipment, wetsuits and personal outdoor gear.
- Alcoholic drinks
How much does it cost?
- £1595 (+ 6 % booking fee) per person, with a non-refundable 25% deposit payable on booking.
- The balance for this trip is payable 8 weeks prior to departure. Please read our Terms and Conditions.
Doune Bay Lodge
Accommodation in Doune Bay Lodge is in a mixture of twin and single rooms. The bedrooms, which are fairly compact, are located on the upper floor while the ground level consists of a large lounge and open plan kitchen for tea & coffee. Shared bathroom facilities are next door to the kitchen with showers, basins & toilets. Electricity is generated on-site during the day. Wifi is available while the power is on and cameras etc can be charged.
Single rooms – There is no supplement charged to solo travellers, however, you will be required to share a room with another person of the same sex. There are a limited number of single rooms available on this trip, which will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Food/ Drink – Freshly prepared and locally sourced meals are taken in the adjacent restaurant and are a real highlight of this trip. Special dietary requirements can be catered for but must be advised at the time of booking. The restaurant is licensed and offers an excellent choice of wines, beers and spirits. Shoes with decent grip are needed to walk to the restaurant.